The Application Process
Below are our requirements for the successful completion of an application. Please note that a $35 application fee is required for each application, payable prior to the beginning of the application process. Due to expenses involved in processing, application fees are non-refundable.
We require the following information:
– Previous two years of employment references
– Previous two years of rental references (or home ownership)
– Current credit report (run by Leslie and Associates only, no other source)
– Background screening: A criminal background screening is required for each applicant and is subject to review.
– VERIFIABLE income – Applicants must show proof of ability to pay. Gross monthly income must be at least three times the monthly rent.
There are several options toward that end:
1. Currently employed applicants may provide paycheck stubs for the previous three months. This is the easiest option for providing VERIFIABLE information.
2. Self-employed applicants who do not have paycheck stubs must provide the past two years of federal income tax returns. If you do not file taxes, we cannot verify income.
3. Retirees may provide copies of the past three months of bank statements if they wish for those funds to be considered as proof of ability to pay. The bank account(s) MUST be held in the applicant’s name. The current balance, as well as the average daily balance for the past three months, must be at least three times the annual rent for the unit for which they are applying. For example, application for a May 1 start date and monthly rent of $750 requires an average daily balance minimum of $750 x 12 months x 3 years ($27,000) in the bank account under consideration, since at least January 1 of that year.
Additional Application Information
All information collected in the application process is held in strictest confidence and is used only to provide property owners with qualified tenants.
In the event of multiple applications on a single unit that are submitted at the same time, the best application is accepted. In the event of two or more applications being equally good, the first application submitted is accepted. Whenever possible, we make our very best effort to provide an equally desirable unit to those whose applications are also valid, but are not accepted for the first unit.
A unit is not considered “rented” until the application(s) has been approved, a one-year lease has been signed by all parties, and a full security deposit has been paid. We do not “hold” available units off the market; units are either available for rent or they are rented.
All rental units are smoke-free; smoking is prohibited inside a 50-foot radius of all buildings on all rental properties. A No-Smoking Addendum is part of every lease.
Renter’s insurance is required of all tenants, minimum $25,000 contents, $300,000 liability. Your policy may require higher limits, depending on contents.
Many, but not all, of our properties are pet-friendly. Please click here for complete Pet Information.
Directions to the Office
Leslie and Associates is located at The Manor Inn Apartments, 265 Charlotte Street, Suite 2, Asheville, NC, 28801, 828-253-1517, www.leslieandassoc.com. From I-240 in Asheville, take the Charlotte Street exit; I-240 West, turn right onto Charlotte St, I-240 East, turn left onto Charlotte St. Go approximately one mile; The Manor Inn Apartments will be on your right.
We are open Monday – Friday, 8:30AM – 5:30PM. We are closed on weekends.
We Want to Help You through the Application Process
If you wish to complete an application and/or lease in the office, please arrive before 5PM to ensure that you have adequate time to fill it out the application, read/sign the lease, and make all necessary payments. Please come prepared with the necessary rental, employment, and financial information you will need to complete your application. We also require photo IDs for all leaseholders and permitted occupants. We do NOT accept cash for payment of rent, security deposits, or pet fees. If your wish is to occupy a rental unit within one week of application, you must be prepared to pay all fees with guaranteed funds (money orders).
Please note that applications are processed as quickly as possible; depending on how promptly your references respond to our inquiries, the process can be relatively swift, but it may become protracted if they fail to respond. Most applications are processed in 24 – 48 hours. If we run into problems with verification, we will contact you for your assistance.
Applicants may fill out and submit their application online (or print a printable version). Applicants may also pay their application fee(s) online; please visit www.leslieandassoc.com for application and online payment options.
Tel: (828) 253-1517
Email: [email protected]
265 Charlotte Street, Suite 2
Asheville, NC 28801
Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM-5:30 PM